We’re looking for a dynamic, creative and forward-thinking communications officer to join our Global Communications Team in Nairobi and help ILC stand out in a world where land rights are often overlooked. Can you help us shape the impressions we want to make, for the change we want to see?
Position title: Communications and MEL Specialist/Consultant.
Duty station: Nairobi-Kenya or home based
Applicants should send their Applications (Motivation letter & detailed C.V. including 3 references and any support documents) to firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com . Please do indicate your consultancy monthly fee expectation in the letter.
The email subject should be: “Communications & MEL Specialist-ILC Africa”
Deadline for applications is 5th June 2020. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be identified before the deadline. Therefore, kindly send application as soon as you can.
The International Land Coalition https://www.landcoalition.org/ is a global alliance of civil society and intergovernmental organisations working together to put people at the centre of land governance. The shared goal of ILC's 250+ members is to realise land governance for and with people at the country level, responding to the needs and protecting the rights of women, men and communities who live on and from the land. In Africa, ILC has currently 76 members spread across 26 African countries.
The Communications and MEL Sepcialist will work as part of the Africa Regional Coordination Unit and report directly to the Africa Regional Coordinator to ensure ILC Africa’s communications & MEL activities reflect the change we make as a network, and to strengthen the communication & MEL strategies and capacities of our African-based members.
Qualifications / Preconditions:
- At least a bachelor’s degree ( Master’s degree preferred ) in communications, journalism or other related social sciences study areas..
- At least 5 years of experience working for International NGOs with similar responsibilities.
- Experience in web-publishing, social media and web-based editorial;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex policy issues into accessible products;
- Demonstrable creativity and a flair for identifying interesting and newsworthy stories and successfully pitching them to a range of media outlets;
- Excellent computer literacy, with familiarity with common content management software (DRUPAL, Wordpress), information technologies and web-based analytical tools (Sprout Social, Google Analytics), Mailchimp.
- Ability to review and analyze reports
- Ability to work independently with minimum or no supervision
- Fluency in English and French
- Being familiar with ILC and/or other land rights organizations is a strong asset.
The Communications & MEL Specialist will support ILC Africa in the following:
- Lead implementation of ILC Africa Communication Strategy (2018-21)
- Develop content and support management across ILC Africa web accounts – website, social media, etc.
- Provide technical advice and guidance in the area of communications to ILC Africa member led Platforms/Programs.
- Communicate ILC Africa key messages and results, while increasing visibility of ILC Africa to the African audience and beyond (public, CSOs, IGOS, Governments, Donors, Media)
- Pitch stories and op-eds to newswires and media outlets in Africa and beyond.
- Develop, write and edit content for a full range of ILC communications products, such as articles, corporate material, photography, short videos, that are relevant to the ILC Africa audiences.
- Manage ILC Africa brand, ensuring proper usage and approach within the network
- Coordinate communications support team/service providers, including translators, editors, designers, etc.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning / MEL (30%)
In collaboration with the Africa program officer, the Comms & MEL Specialist will work to strengthen the regional MEL processes and support the delivery of robust monitoring, evaluation and learning processes which allow ILC members to clearly articulate, demonstrate, document and learn from the outcomes of our work. This will include supporting the management of independent evaluations, the undertaking of Contribution Analyses and supporting research, the write up of regional annual reports and contribute to the global annual report to the Coalition Council.
Key roles include:
- Conduct quality control on member reports;
- investigate, analyse results emerging from Members reports to include in the Annual Africa report
- Drafting of regional annual report and contribute to the Annual or triennial Global report
- Systematisation of information and data emerging from members reports in ILC’s Membernet;
- Extract where possible good practices emerging from Members reports and share them;
- Contribute to Resource mobilisation efforts including by providing relevant data and results emerging from members work;
- Contribute in the undertaking and final redaction of ILC’s Contribution Analyses and their regional dissemination;
- Contribute in ILC’s Impact Assessment by disseminating surveys, engaging members in their participation and researching if needed Key questions emerging for the region;
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply;
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for further details & test / interview;
- Test/Interviews are scheduled latest by the week of 15 June 2020.
- A successful candidate is expected to start as soon as interviews are concluded.
If you would like to discuss this role before applying, please arrange for appointment with the ILC Africa Regional Coordinator through firstname.lastname@example.org