Working towards these commitments
Transparent and accessible information
Effective actions against land grabbing
ACME's main goal is to make the media a more effective platform for the provision of information on public affairs, in order to thus provide a tool for monitoring official power and a forum for vibrant public debate, together with the priority of advocating, promoting and defending press freedom and right of expression.
ACME's objectives are:
- to inspire media practitioners & scholars to seek and achieve professional excellence;
- to foster sound investigative journalism best practices through reliable and credible sources of information;
- to promote the effective watchdog role of the media through vibrant forums for public debate;
- to cultivate effective media relations skills in the private sector, civil society, academia and the government;
- to raise public awareness about the dynamics of news making and production.
Based in Kampala, the African Center for Media Excellence is an independent, non-profit, professional organisation that is committed to excellence in journalism and mass communication in Africa. ACME directly employs about a dozen staff and works with a growing network of external trainers and researchers. It is governed by a general meeting (its highest organ), which is made up of subscribers, a board of directors (its policy-making organ), and a management team that carries out the day-to-day activities of the center.