Working towards these commitments
Secure Tenure Rights
Transparent and accessible information
Rwanda Initiative for Sustainable Development (RISD) is a local non-governmental organization (NGO). RISD’s work is based on Policy Research, Networking and Advocacy. RISD is considered by many, both in Rwanda and outside, as the model of civil society in Rwanda because of its approach and focus. RISD’s aim is to advocate for pro-poor policies and facilitate the empowerment of civil society and the grassroots. RISD has been involved in the land reform process since 1999, working closely with the Ministry in charge of land, during the formulation of both the Land Policy and the Organic Law, and currently working on the implementation of the land reform. RISD’s vision is that of country where all citizens are in charge of their own destiny and with social accountability to each other regardless of any differences and their past experiences in atrocities that have characterized the country and its people over decades.
- To enhance community participation in the land related policies towards improving their livelihood conditions;
- To eliminate gender inequality related to land rights;
- To enhance the capacity of civil society in engaging in the implementation, monitoring and documentation of the national land policy;
- To advocate for pro-poor land policies;
- To contribute to the Poverty reduction and Sustainable Peace Strategies through good land governance.
RISD's constituencies include grassroots institutions, local leaders, decision makers and development partners.